Sunday 2 December 2018

December Bookshelf

So what did I make of last month's pile? The Talent for murder continued to prove an interesting read and whilst I may well dip into the author's other books at some time in the future it did take me a while to get into. As anticipated the Nora Robert's Shelter in place was a brilliantly enjoyable read that got devoured over just a few days but unfortunately I just couldn't get into the Adriana Trigiani so took it back to the hospice book exchange shelf and started Katherine Arden's The bear and the nightingale instead. This beautifully written book is the first in her Winternight trilogy and I'm already hooked - I've a feeling the other 2 will soon be featuring on my bookshelf. It's rooted in Russian fairy-tales and is wonderfully atmospheric and thoroughly suited to a Midwinter read - all I'm missing is the log fire to curl up in front of!

As for the rest of December's reads - I still really want to make a start on the non-fiction pile so will pick up the Wendell Berry once I have finished The bear and the nightingale and then I think it will time to turn to the spooky mystery of Barbara Erskine's Sleeper's Castle. I've loved her books ever since I first read The lady of Hay many many years ago so this will be a real treat.

I've feeling that might well be it for books this month what with Christmas company, troublesome jigsaws and new crafty projects to try but we shall see.

December's Bookshelf...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, due to an upsurge in "odd" comments all comments are moderated. I hope it won't put too many of you off. I think I've also finally fixed the issue that meant we couldn't reply to comments
Tx