Sunday 16 December 2018

Soundrack to the season

Music always features heavily in the house at this time of year - the now traditional rash of Christmas themed pop songs always get several airings but so do some gentler more ethereal tunes that seem to better reflect the thoughtfulness provoked by the season. This is a small selection of the ones that I keep coming back to. I hope you enjoy them too.

Solstice Carol - A glorious invocation of the season from the Canadian band Wyrd Sisters.


Sarah McLachlan's haunting Wintersong is also a favourite at this time of year. Until I started putting this post together I hadn't realised just how many Canadian vocalists featured amongst my favourites. The next one also hails from across the pond.

In the bleak midwinter - So many beautiful versions of this haunting song but this one by Loreena McKennitt is one of my favourites.


White Christmas - There have been many but for me, nothing beats the one and only Bing Crosby


Enya's voice is always beautiful and no matter what she records it is  evocative and ethereal. This version of the sublime Silent Night is no exception.

Happy Listening!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, due to an upsurge in "odd" comments all comments are moderated. I hope it won't put too many of you off. I think I've also finally fixed the issue that meant we couldn't reply to comments
Tx