Monday 14 January 2019

Making use of our dried apple - Apple Pudding

After dropping Mum off at the station on Thursday I had a bit of a play in the kitchen. I've been thinking of different ways to use up our stores of dried apple and the last of our 2018 hazelnuts. As well as being good for nibbling on. it can make tasty apple pies or crumbles and was a really good addition to our Christmas cake this year so I thought I'd re-hydrate some to have a go at a variation on a fruit tea bread. In the end this recipe produced a really tasty but quite doughy loaf which was great as a warm pudding with custard or cream for several meals with the last slice being eaten on Sunday.

Re-hydrated Apple Pudding
I put dried apple slices in a wide 1 litre pyrex jug up to approx 650ml line and covered in boiling water up to c. 1 litre line. Cover and leave for at least 1hour.
Scoop out apple slices into the bowl of a food processor and reserve liquid. Whiz apples into a rough purée.
Add 1.5 tsps of cinnamon and 1tsp nutmeg and approx 2tblsps of roasted hazlenuts. Whiz again. 
Add in 10oz Self-raising flour, 5 oz demerara sugar, 5 tblsps sunflower oil and 2 eggs. Whiz until mixed.
Add in sufficient of reserved apple liquid to make a fairly loose batter (I used approximately 250ml).
Once thoroughly mixed to a loose batter add in about 3oz sultanas. Whiz once or twice to combine then spoon into pre-lined loaf tin.
Bake Gas Mark 4 for approx 1 hr and 15 minutes until skewer comes out clean.


Despite looking the part here more work is needed if I want it as a loaf cake but it's definitely a keeper as a pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, due to an upsurge in "odd" comments all comments are moderated. I hope it won't put too many of you off. I think I've also finally fixed the issue that meant we couldn't reply to comments
Tx