Thursday 26 September 2019

Trying something new...

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a FutureLearn course. I've been looking at these on and off for a few years and in the ongoing quest to find things to occupy a restless mind in the better days I'm trying out a 4 week course about the Book of Kells. Produced by the University of Dublin and free to all comers it seemed like a good place to start, so far I've watched the first video and read the first article and downloaded the link to the digital archive copy of this beautiful manuscript. I've always been fascinated by ancient arts and of course, old texts and thought this might be an ideal starting point to see if this type of activity works for me as the days start to draw in and outside opportunities are a bit more diminished. Wish me luck!






10 comments:

  1. That sounds intriguing! Just the thing for days when it is difficult to get out and about. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping over from my blog (Codlins and Cream 2) - never heard of that set-up. I'd love that (when not so busy) as my post-degree mind still likes some stimulation.

    I saw the Book of Kells when we were on an Archaeology Field Trip back in the late 90s. AMAZING. Enjoy the course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of different things on there to choose from once you can find a bit of time for yourself - Time is the one thing I do have on my hands at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I have not visited/commented for ages, things a bit difficult here and hard to find the time for blog-visiting.

    I also discovered FutureLearn this summer and signed up for the Book of Kells course. Have done all of the first week which was interesting and well presented but week 2 hasn't even been looked at 😞 I found it rather superficial though, and hopefully subsequent sections will have more depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayne, i must admit I picked it because it was a subject I knew I'd enjoy but looked a bit less complicated than some just to see how I got on with the actual process whilst also having chemo brain. Will be looking at week 2 later this week and may see you on the discussion forum!

      Delete
  5. Tanya, having read your posts and seeing how articulate you are on "chemo brain" I can safely say you will have no trouble with the course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jayne, that is really kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry m'lovely, you are a "no reply" blogger so we'll have to have this conversation in public as I don't think I have an email for you :)

    I am not being 'kind', that implies saying something soothing and comforting to the invalid even if you don't think it is the whole truth. It is obvious how intelligent and articulate you are, and I'd recommend, if you have an hour or so, doing week one of the course. It is very nicely done and probably won't take you very long to go through all the modules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 hours later and fixed the reply!!! Thank you Jayne

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, due to an upsurge in "odd" comments all comments are moderated. I hope it won't put too many of you off. I think I've also finally fixed the issue that meant we couldn't reply to comments
Tx