Monday 15 July 2019

Green Risotto

Fridays pickings turned into a very tasty Saturday lunch - although next time I might plan for a cooler day before making risotto!

There was enough here for at least 3 and probably 4 people depending how hungry/greedy they are feeling.

What went in:

2 small onions finely chopped and lightly fried
11oz/300g mixed peas and broad beans
c. 3oz/75g chopped washed spinach beet leaves
1 and 1/3 mug of arborio rice
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 teaspoons leek powder
black pepper to taste
c. 2.5 pints/1.5litres  boiling water 
4oz cubed feta

How I did it:

used all of these

used about half of this
After first liquid get a bubble on!
just add feta!
I tend not to do the traditional stir after each ladle of liquid when making a risotto so I added the peas and beans to the fried onion along with a small handful of chopped leaves and the rice, gave everything a gentle stir to warm them through and then added the herbs and leek powder before topping of with enough liquid to cover to the top of the pan. 
Another stir and set the gas heat to medium to get a good bubble on and then put a lid on for about 10minutes.
I kept checking back in and giving a stir every 5 minutes or so until the rice had absorbed most of the liquid and then topped the pan off again, added more leaves and repeated. I tasted the rice once it had absorbed the second pan full and then added about another half pan full, the rest of the leaves and a good grinding of black pepper - I like my risotto quite soft so the amount of liquid you eventually add may vary - keep testing.
Once the liquid has been absorbed I turned the heat right down and added the feta. A good stir and then off the heat and serve.
Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, due to an upsurge in "odd" comments all comments are moderated. I hope it won't put too many of you off. I think I've also finally fixed the issue that meant we couldn't reply to comments
Tx